Wednesday, October 20, 2010

When Pink Pig met Yellow Duck

When I was pregnant I swore that I would do the best I could for The Pink Pig and entertain her growing mind with wholesome things like books and crayons, speaking to her in adult words rather than baby babble, teaching her numbers, maths and music.

Oh, the naivety, how quickly a few weeks of no sleep can rectify that frivolous mind set and self preservation kicks in.

After whats seemed like days of trying to entertain the Pig, making stuffed toys speak in high pitched voices, pacing the kitchen, reading every colorful book in the house and several games of peek-a-boo, my pink pig was still showing disdain for my efforts. I finally in desperation eye up the neat pile of noisy toys given as presents, the ones I'd been avoiding so diligently since they were handed to me by well meaning visitors.
I thought, sure just one won't hurt and picked out a small innocuous looking blue and yellow toy..........  


 And this is how Pig met Duck:

Sitting propped up in my lap, I placed Duck in front of said distraught Pig and pressed the big yellow star on its belly. Instantly the red faced teary pig transformed into a cooing, chirping, smiling angel eyed darling, reaching out her chubby hands to the set of flashing lights, her eyes wide taking in this fantastic beast. Little did I know at the time that duck only had five different sayings and since Pig is only learning to hold things, I would be employed as chief button presser for this new relationship.

Now I understand how brainwashing was so successful and I also know without a shadow of a doubt that duck, is in fact a duck and that he is my best friend and Yankee Doodle is now the perpetual tune in head.

The two are now inseparable and I think I am going to have a little cry......

No comments:

Post a Comment